Video: A neuroperspective on ego
Key points in the video:
- Why be mindful of ego?
- The India philosopher Krishnamurti said self is the only source of all conflicts.
What is ego from the perspective of neurons?
- Ego is a bunch of neuron circuits running through our heads.
- Similar to thoughts, ego is sort of illusions. It is just the activities of neurons. When neurons stop working, it disappears. Ego is emptiness. ☆ However, people won’t accept it’s empty. People still want to hold on to it. ☆ Also, the whole society fabric keeps enhancing the ego, individualism, self, identity, the concept of psychological me.
We just keep running this neural circuits or loops of ego in our head all the time, which consumes our mental energy.
- People try to forget ego by watching TV, drinking wine, overfocusing on work, or even take drugs.
How to get rid of ego?
- The first step is to realize the ego in our all kinds of life situations.
- Try to be as compassionate as possible.